Old 24-11-2004, 01:26 PM
pk

Sacha wrote:
Hay anyone actually tried eating the berries of these. We have it
both flowering and berrying in the garden at the moment and the smell
is deliciously like strawberries when you crush the berries.
I've found a site that says they're edible and can be used in jellies
but I'm very cautious....... ;-)

http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/newsle...ctober2001.htm

Seems pretty unequivocal:

Ugni (Myrtus ugni)
This little berry is certainly gaining its fair share of attention lately.
Its the size of a large blueberry, has 5 times the flavour and makes the
most magnificent muffins you'll ever taste. And how do you know when to pick
it? - well you just walk outside into the garden and get bowled over by the
wonderful scent.

A small evergreen shrub with its delicate foliage they are far tougher than
they look. I've recently planted three in a shady position on the southern
side of the house, just the position Camellias love, and you should see the
little things grow. The area is well composted and mulched with a well
drained soil.

They seem happy in most soils and conditions and appreciate summer watering.
They can withstand mild frosts and don't mind being thirsty although this
would effect the fruit yield. A great shrub for the 'lazy' gardener as
they're virtually maintenance free. No pruning is needed and as far as we
can see they are relatively unaffected by pests.

The small glossy dark-green leaves are tinged with a beautiful red growth
when young and the plant becomes smothered with fluffy bell-shaped white or
pink flowers.

Like blueberries the fruit can be eaten fresh or cooked. Its gaining huge
exceptance in with gourmet chefs throughout the world for its unique
aromatic flavour and its reputed to make an ice-cream that will rival any.
The shrubs begin to yield ruit after 3 years when they should bear about one
kilogram per plant. The yield will then increase by one kilogram each year
as the plant matures.

pk