Old 24-11-2004, 05:30 PM
June Hughes

In message , June Hughes
writes
Message for Rusty re watering plants - like figs -

You mentioned about not being able to go away because of having to
water stuff. In the summer, I bought a watering system made by Gardena
on a special offer in our garden centre. About £50. Possibly one of
my daft ideas. I haven't used it yet but intend to set it up in the
spring. (A friend offered to stay at our house whilst we were on hols,
which was much more satisfactory). Anyway, if it works, a similar one
might solve your problem. It attaches to the outside tap and runs off
an ordinary 9v battery (the oblong ones). Narrow plastic pipes are
joined together and extentions from them are stuck in the pots or
places which need watering. There is some sort of sensor, which opens
the valve to let the water out of the tap when the plants need
watering. It is possible to expand the system into a huge watering
system, which is beyond my needs but may be useful for you.

I hate going away just as everything needs lots of watering but with
our youngest still at school, going in term-time is not an option. I
shall let you know whether or not it works after I have set it up.

www.gardena.co.uk
--
June Hughes