Old 24-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Sacha

On 24/11/04 16:29, in article , "anton"
wrote:

snip

I've nibbled a few M communis for fun and they're rather sloe-like. The
myrtle gin that I made (same method as sloe gin) has a fantastic scent but
the taste is slightly, er medicinal.

The plant itself is wonderful in flower, leaf and scent and has only been
slightly browned at the tips occasionally by by the East Anglian winter in a
partly sheltered North facing corner.

We have other types of Myrtle in the garden (some self-seeded which I always
like to see) but it had never occurred to me to try the berries. And
speaking of M. communis, is that the one that is supposed to be traditional
for royal brides' bouquets? Because if it is, Ray thinks they may have the
wrong plant and that the 'fertile myrtle' was Myrtus lechleriana, because it
flowers during the months weddings are more often held. We have one of the
latter here grown by Edward Hyams who describes his collection as a 'cult of
myrtles'. The M. lechleriana is now known as Ammomytus luma.
And Ray has just recalled someone telling him that Queen Victoria was said
to gorge herself on the berries of some myrtle or other -- maybe the lovely,
strawberry scented one or Myrtus lechleriana? A sprig of myrtle was in her
bouquet and was planted at Osborne House so I wonder which *that* was.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)