Old 24-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

Sorry, I overlooked your requirement for them also to be in blazing
colours. K. linearifolia is variously orange, old-gold and greenish
orange, interesting but not blazing. Prince Igor is a more traditional
colour, orange-red at the top of the spike fading to yellow. An
established plant will put up flowers to over six feet (a 'must have'
when I saw it in a nearby garden!). Another good one is K. rooperi,
again with traditional colouring but flowers of a more rounded shape.
Height when established, at least 5 ft. (the kniphofias that form an
avenue around the east side of St. Michael's Mount in Cornwall, and
that flower so spectacularly in September, are these). K. praecox is
a good bright red and fairly tall, but as mine will only flower for
the first time next year, I can't be definite about it. I've not grown
K. northiae, but it has a reputation for having massive flower heads,
although I don't think it's especially tall or brightly coloured. It
likes a damp spot.

I don't know what the ones I remember were - they weren't huge,
but were not the miserable little knee-height things - but they
definitely went from a bright orange-red to yellow. Of course,
the sunlight may have had something to do with it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.