Old 24-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

Message for Rusty re watering plants - like figs -

You mentioned about not being able to go away because of having to water
stuff. In the summer, I bought a watering system made by Gardena on a
special offer in our garden centre. About £50. Possibly one of my daft
ideas. I haven't used it yet but intend to set it up in the spring. (A
friend offered to stay at our house whilst we were on hols, which was
much more satisfactory). Anyway, if it works, a similar one might solve
your problem. It attaches to the outside tap and runs off an ordinary 9v
battery (the oblong ones). Narrow plastic pipes are joined together and
extentions from them are stuck in the pots or places which need
watering. There is some sort of sensor, which opens the valve to let
the water out of the tap when the plants need watering. It is possible
to expand the system into a huge watering system, which is beyond my
needs but may be useful for you.

Er, thanks, but I've earnt just about a couple of hundred pounds this year...

Besides, I'm making one myself.

I hate going away just as everything needs lots of watering but with our
youngest still at school, going in term-time is not an option. I shall
let you know whether or not it works after I have set it up.

The trouble is that some plants drink more than others. For instance,
the potted passionfruit probably drink four or five times the amount
that the citrus trees do, and the bog myrtle and sphagnum moss have to
have rainwater.

Tomatoes, runner beans and such need even more, and then there's pot
size to take into consideration, and the bonsai have to be watered
several times a day in hot weather...

With an automatic watering system some things will drown while others parch.

Unless...

But it's good of you to tell me of your plans - I hope it all works out
for you.

(If I get round to it I might install what amounts to a giant shower, though.)

[...]

Besides, I'm making one myself out of bits and pieces.

I hate going away just as everything needs lots of watering but with our
youngest still at school, going in term-time is not an option. I shall
let you know whether or not it works after I have set it up.

The trouble is that some plants drink more than others. For instance,
the potted passionfruit drink four or five times the amount that the
citrus trees do, and the bog myrtle and sphagnum moss have to have
rainwater.

Tomatoes, runner beans and such need even more, and then there's pot
size to take into consideration, and the bonsai have to be watered
several times a day in hot weather...

But it's good of you to tell me of your plans - I hope it all works out
for you.

With most automatic watering systems some things will drown while others
parch. I have a sort-of giant showerbath in mind, running from filtered
rainwater stored in my orange-juice bottle.
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/cobble/cobble.htm

You'll see the bottle in (IIRC) the third pic, peeping over the side of
the partly-built shed.

And then there are the slugs...

An automatic slugmallet?

--