Old 25-11-2004, 12:55 AM
Paddy

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Paddy wrote:
We are taking over an allotment plot soon that has been fallow for

year.
Which weeds can be added to the compost heap and which must be
excluded? TIA
Paul.

I'd recommend burning or dustbinning anything with a tap-root:
dandelions, docks. Or you could collect them in a closed plastic bag
and leave them aside for six months or so, then add them to the heap
when you're sure they're dead. You'll get a lot of seeds in your
compost heap if the allotment's been fallow for a year, so it's good
idea to try to get a good hot heap going.

If there's any ragwort on the plot, I'd burn or bin it: if you leave
it lying about it may well seed when your back's turned. Any nettle
or bindweed roots need to be burnt, or exposed to the weather till
they're dead: don't pop them straight in the compost heap, or they'll
grow if the heap doesn't heat up properly.

Mike.

Thanks, Mike. Lot of digging and sorting to do.
Paul.
--
Paul reply-to is valid