Old 25-11-2004, 04:30 AM
Warren

David Ross wrote:
Yes, I saw a few weeks ago that it works with Mozilla. However,
given the repeated promotion of the site, I tested it at
http://validator.w3.org/ and found that it does not comply with
the HTML 4.01 specification. The W3C validator found numerous
errors.

Few sites meet HTML 4.01 specifications.

On further analysis, I found that the pages were generated with
FrontPage, which is fully compatible only with Internet Explorer
(both being Micro$oft products). With IE's steady decline in
browser market share since its peak in March 2003, Micro$oft's
attempt to create its own standard for HTML will fail. In the
meantime, Web sites seeking broad audiences should heed the W3C
specifications, which "100 Tree Myths" does not.

Yes. I'm sure that webmasters are rushing to comply with HTML 4.01. Keep
in mind that most non-techy websites are still seeing far greater than
90% of their visitors using IE, and nearly all of the rest using
Mozilla-based browsers like Firefox or Netscape.

Just for the heck of it, I checked www.amazon.com, www.yahoo.com, and
www.google.com. None of them met HTML 4.01 specs.

If someone creates a standard that nearly everyone ignores, is it really
a valid standard? I'm sorry, but the W3C has lost it's credibility by
ignoring the real world.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.