Old 25-11-2004, 06:16 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REMO
VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes

If there's any ragwort on the plot, I'd burn or bin it: if you leave
it lying about it may well seed when your back's turned. Any nettle
or bindweed roots need to be burnt, or exposed to the weather till
they're dead: don't pop them straight in the compost heap, or they'll
grow if the heap doesn't heat up properly.

We avoid using bindweed roots in composting, but we use a lot of nettle
and comfrey. The roots are mainly killed off by the compost heating up.
We cover our heaps to mature for 6 to 12 months after completion, so
any live roots, seeds or cutting which germinate will die off before the
compost is used. Pictures and details of our composting system can be
seen in the urg composting FAQ at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/organic.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.