Old 25-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:
Paddy wrote:
We are taking over an allotment plot soon that has been fallow for
a year.
Which weeds can be added to the compost heap and which must be
excluded? TIA

I'd recommend burning or dustbinning anything with a tap-root:
dandelions, docks. Or you could collect them in a closed plastic bag
and leave them aside for six months or so, then add them to the heap
when you're sure they're dead. You'll get a lot of seeds in your
compost heap if the allotment's been fallow for a year, so it's good
idea to try to get a good hot heap going.

If there's any ragwort on the plot, I'd burn or bin it: if you leave
it lying about it may well seed when your back's turned. Any nettle
or bindweed roots need to be burnt, or exposed to the weather till
they're dead: don't pop them straight in the compost heap, or they'll
grow if the heap doesn't heat up properly.

I run a cool heap, and put all of that on; effectively none survives.
As somone else says, it is a good idea to put the roots of weeds
that will regrow from the root away from the edges, but that is all
I do (and not always even that). Even if the heap is cool, the
very corrosive conditions of an active heap are inimicable to plant
roots.

With regard to pernicious weeds (e.g. nettles, goosefoot) with RIPE
seeds, I would burn them, as those seds can survive. Ragweed may
be another, but there is no problem composting it before the seeds
are ripe - they will not ripen in the compost.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.