Old 25-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Martin Brown writes:

| I try not to add ripe seed heads of pernicious weeds like thistle,
| dandelion and weed roots like bindweed or groundelder (unless they have
| been dessicated in the sun for a couple of weeks).

I have no trouble with either of the bindweeds or ground elder, and
my garden is infested with them. They rarely grow on the heap.

| Try telling that to the pumpkin plant I threw on the back of my hot
| compost heap this year! I admit that after it reached a certain size I
| tried to keep the hot zone away from it. But it thrived despite being
| periodically bhalf buried and had a larger pumpkin than the ones I
| planted in the veg patch.

It isn't the hot zone so much as the anaerobic decomposition zone.
And, interestingly, cucurbits and potatoes are more resistant than
most weeds.

| Indeed. Though I have been surprised what will grow on a compost heap.
| Nettles invade mine from the field behind and some buddlea prunings have
| been known to root down and grow instead of rotting.

Oh, lots of things will grow ON heaps; very few will grow IN them,
and reach the outside.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.