Old 25-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Kay

In article , loop loop.1ga2jn@news
..gardenbanter.co.uk writes

Hi,

Last year we cultivated an area of garden for my children to play in.

We used Tumbleweed to destroy all the weeds, rotivated serval times,
made borders, laid turf, planted bulbs etc.

Now it is a sea of green. Wild garlick everywhere. It is a foot high
over the whole lawn, borders and everything.

Are you sure you mean wild garlic? Garlic smelling bulb that has wide
green leaves from the base and clusters of small white flowers in the
spring, and which then dies down over the summer? It doesn't grow as
high as a foot and it wouldn't colonise that area that quickly.

Do you mean hedge garlic, a member of the cabbage family, less strong
garlic small, smaller leaves all the way the stem, clusters of white
flowers, actively growing from spring through to autumn? I'm surprised
that regular mowing hasn't stopped it in the lawn. It's not a
particularly persistent weed, so pulling it out wherever you see it
should get rid of it, then next year pulling out any new seedlings.
You'll probably always have it around, but you should be able to keep it
well under control.

--
Kay