Old 25-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Judith Lea

In article , Sacha
writes
And no, I am NOT arguing that ALL country
dwellers are pro-hunting but the march on Westminster would appear to
suggest that an awful lot are - and probably the majority.
I am concerned about this too because I believe most genuinely that what
will now happen to foxes is going to be much more cruel and painful for them
than either a clean escape or a certain death.

I have been following this thread with interest and agree with an awful
lot that Sacha says. I ride but I have never hunted, never wanted to
but I have had the opportunity to do so where it was part of one's life
and I declined; not because I see the fox as an "itsybitsypet" - not
because that the dogs will kill it- but simply because I find the idea
of a large number of grown people, yes, grocers, postman, landlady as
well as the local landowners, jumping over hill and dale with an
expression of glee in the chase. I personally can enjoy the same glee
when riding hell for leather - I don't need to chase hounds to achieve
this.

I don't have a problem with a farmer, with hounds, culling foxes - I
only have a problem with the enjoyment aspect of it - I take no pleasure
in killing an animal in this manner, for any reason. Some of my friends
would disagree with me and put forward the view of the keeping numbers
down. I agree wholeheartedly with them - I know all the drawbacks of
the destructive nature of foxes - I have no objection of them being
killed but I really do not feel it takes numerous people and a pack of
hounds to dispatch a fox humanely.

--
Judith Lea