Old 25-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Pam - gardengal

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Cereus-validus..." wrote:

It is not a myth. Poinsettias are indeed toxic. Eat them and you will

get
very ill and vomit. That is most certainly a toxic reaction. What they

are
not is DEADLY LETHAL!!!

Numerous studies have been conducted on poinsettias feeding them to rats
looking for a toxic level of exposure. There is none. They would rarely
even induce vomiting, though that's a personal response, one can vomit
from eating anything from one blade of grass to too many Muskateer bars.
Rat studies on poinsettias as a major part of diet found no toxic effects
whatsoever, zip, nada.

All of the above, including the rest of the post now snipped, is quite
true - toxicity of poinsettias if ingested is exremely low. However internal
consumption is hardly the problem. If anyone has worked with euphorbias
(poinsettia = Euphorbia pulcherrima) of any kind, they are aware that the
white latex (sap) emitted by the plant is a caustic agent. Reactions may be
different acording to individual sensitivities, but it can produce
dermatitis and blistering and most certainly occular irritation including
keratoconjunctivitis. This is the largest risk for kids or pets nibbling or
ingesting the plant - not that they would eat it but rather the latex could
affect delicate and sensitive tissues. Avoid getting the latex near any
mucous membranes and if at all possible, off of bare skin. If the plant is
damaged or broken, and the latex is touched, wash it off immediately.

I have worked with euphorbs for years and am well aware myself of the
properties of the latex and it has never bothered me, so I tended to
discount its causticness myself. However, my 14 y.o. daughter did contract a
rather impressive case of phytodermatitis from the plant this summer, simply
by applying price tags to nursery containers. Apparently, she is one of
those with particular sensitivity to it. The blisters lasted for nearly two
weeks and required a doctor's attention.

pam - gardengal