Old 25-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Mike Lyle

BAC wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:03:37 -0000, "BAC"
wrote:

"Franz Heymann" wrote in

message

"BAC" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in
message ...

"BAC" wrote in message

prune

And don't say that the polls
were flawed. The results were too overwhelmingly in favour of a
ban to allow for any possible misinterpretation of the results.

I don't know whether or not the polls were flawed, only a
referendum would settle that.

GB & NI isn't governed by means of referendums.

True, although they have been used on matters affecting devolution
and will be used regarding the euro and the euro constitution as

soon
as the Government thinks it will win. But that doesn't invalidate

my
point that the only way to determine whether the polls Franz

referred
to were accurate would have been to test their results against a
referendum posing the same question.

Market research firms make their living by being generally reliable;
if several outfits independently reach the same conclusion by a
considerable margin, I'd strongly urge you not to bet your shirt on
their being wrong.

Mike.