Old 25-11-2004, 09:35 AM
Paddy

In message , bnd777
writes

"Paddy" wrote in message

We are taking over an allotment plot soon that has been fallow for a
year.
Which weeds can be added to the compost heap and which must be excluded?
TIA
Paul.

--
Paul reply-to is valid

Provided you build a proper compost pile with the right mix of stuff
especially grass cuttings and horse manure if you can get it from
stables/livery yards etc then the compost pile will get hot enough to
destroy any weeds /seeds

Best bet is to use pallets to make at least 2 bins
layer in grass cuttings , shredded prunings ,weeds,carboard,horse
manure,shredded paper ,veg peelings etc and then pour on a few buckets of
"night water " cover with a layer of cardboard a layer of plastic and a
peice of old carpet plus another pallet for the top .........in 3 months
turn the lot into the empty bin , turn again in another 3 months

cover and leave for 9 months and you should have wonderful compost

So we are looking at 6 to 9 months for the compost to reach maturity ie
the growing season after next - 2006.
Any tips as to how to prepare the plot for the next season organically?
And what plants to put in next year to start things off, given that the
plot has been fallow for a year?
I hope I'm not asking too many questions. : )
Thanks
Paul.
--
Paul reply-to is valid