Old 26-11-2004, 04:51 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Paddy
writes

So we are looking at 6 to 9 months for the compost to reach maturity ie
the growing season after next - 2006.
Any tips as to how to prepare the plot for the next season organically?
And what plants to put in next year to start things off, given that the
plot has been fallow for a year?

If the plot has been in fallow for a year, it will not need a lot of
preparation at present other than clearing unwanted top growth. Most of
that can be added to the compost heap. Some well matured stable or
farmyard manure could be applied now and turned in next spring, or you
could consider green manuring if you can organise the timing and space.

Depending on the size and shape of your plot, think of it in four
quarters for cropping and preparation purposes. That way you can find
out more quickly which style of management suits both you and your soil
best. I would say avoid potatoes in the first year, and plan any
overwintering [2005/6] crops carefully, but don't be afraid to
experiment a bit and make some mistakes, that's the way we all learn.

Have a look at some urg FAQs such as:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/startingout.html
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFA...gardening.html
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/organic.html

and you'll find a lot of useful information on the HDRA site at:
www.hdra.org.uk

I hope I'm not asking too many questions. : )

Not at all, that's what this group is here for.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.