Old 26-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Des Higgins

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , loop loop.1gazwl@news
.gardenbanter.co.uk writes

Jaques d'Alltrades Wrote:
The message
from loop
contains these words:
-
Last year we cultivated an area of garden for my children to play
in.-
-
We used Tumbleweed to destroy all the weeds, rotivated serval times,
made borders, laid turf, planted bulbs etc.-
-
Now it is a sea of green. Wild garlick everywhere. It is a foot high
over the whole lawn, borders and everything.-
-
What can I do to destroy it for good? Do I use a weed killer that
goes
down into the roots, wait, and start again?-

Dig it up and send it to me...

....if it really is any sort of garlic. Doesn't sound like it, though.

It smells strongly of garlick when cut. It has small white bulbs. It
flowers white.

Not hedge garlic. Sounds like wild garlic. I'm astonished that it is as
thick as you say, and also that it is around at this time of year - it
should have died down. If it is wild garlic, it must have been in the
soil before - it can't have grown that much from seed in one year - I'd
I am surprised that it survived all the disturbance.
--
Kay

That could be Allium triquetrum (an introduced species) rather than the
usual native Allium ursinum.
It has triangular stems (triangular crosssection).
It IS very invasive.
I have seen it in the open on the Dublin coast and we had it in our back
garden in Cork.
I asssume it is also escaped in the UK.
Mowing controls it in lawns, just about, but it will keep coming back for
ages from nooks and crannies where bulbs are hidden away. In borders we
just kept pulling it out and it eventually thinned out.