Old 27-11-2004, 03:44 AM
Dave Poole

Sacha wrote:

Could be - the myrtles we have are pretty tall, apart from M. ugni, so a
high greenhouse, orangerie, conservatory, or whatever would be needed. It's
just that we can't see why you'd force M. communis to flower in February...

We used to grow Myrtus communis ssp. tarentina 'Microphylla' as a
dwarf flowering pot plant and brought it into gentle heat after
Christmas to get early flowering in February and March. By bringing
plants in successionally from cold, but frost-free cover, it was
possible to have them in flower over a very long period. I never
tried with the straight species, but it responds very well to control
by annual pruning and I see no reason why it could not have been
treated similarly. Very first flowers out of doors here in Torquay
usually start in late February, whereas the bush I had growing against
a house wall in the Midlands never showed much before mid May.

As to Ugni fruit Sacha, if fully and completely sun-ripened, they are
utterly lush steeped for an hour or so in Kirsch with sugar and then
eaten with cream!!!!

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.