Old 27-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Cheryl Isaak

There is a book on the gardens that Frank Llyod Wright designed to go with
his homes - it's Wrightscapes and it is on Amazon.

Cheryl

On 11/27/04 8:44 AM, in article ux%pd.327$M57.109@trnddc01, "David J
Bockman" wrote:

By 'Craftsman', are you referring to a house built in the Arts & Crafts
style?

Regardless, there are no plants specifically associated with architectural
styles. I would recommend doing some research into the house and seeing if
you can come up with older photographs depicting what the original residents
planted. Local libraries, historical societies, older neighbors (or their
children), and even the local newspaper are good sources.

Attempting to recreate the vegetation in the planters falls under the
'Historic Preservation' bugaboo of 'what exactly are we trying to preserve?'
By that I mean, are you 'freezing' the house at a particular year, or simply
trying to evoke the mood the original residents set with their plantings?
It's a fun project, good luck with it!

Dave

"Allview" wrote in message
My son and daughter in law moved into an authentic craftsman house. They

have
2 urns on the front steps. They would like me to plant the urns in the

spring
with plants authentic to the late 1920s and that will grow in a shady

location.
Can anybody help me on this? The house is located in Dayton, zone 5 or

6.
Marilyn in Ohio