Old 27-11-2004, 05:22 PM
Mike Lyle

NWalch wrote:
"Sue da Nimm" . wrote in message
"NWalch" wrote in message
om...

Also still not sure how to get the cable (for the lights and

pump)
into the pond if its edged with paving slabs (2 rows of on the

side
where the cable will come from)

Lay a piece of plastic conduit (or domestic water overflow pipe

will
do) on top of the pond liner at the pond's edge. Cover this with

the
bedding mortar and lay your slabs. The pump & light cables should

be
fed from the pond side through the conduit. You really should then
take the cables away under ground in further lengths of conduit,
using right-angle bends to get the required depth below the

surface.
Don't cut the cables - they can be coiled neatly before connecting
to an IP65 switched outlet or socket.

Thanks. Wont that act as an overflow. I guess thats fine if you

leave
run for the water to run away but if you connect all the conduit

back
to the socket then you risk water running back to it during heavy
rain.

That won't matter, as you won't have any exposed conductor near
ground level. Armoured cable, and even ordinary house-wiring cable,
is impervious to water.

I'd lay out the cable in its conduit or hosepipe before laying the
slabs. Armoured cable won't need this for protection, but it's nice
to know you can pull it out one day if you want to.

Mike.