Old 27-11-2004, 11:10 PM
Christopher Green

(Allview) wrote in message ...
My son and daughter in law moved into an authentic craftsman house. They have
2 urns on the front steps. They would like me to plant the urns in the spring
with plants authentic to the late 1920s and that will grow in a shady location.
Can anybody help me on this? The house is located in Dayton, zone 5 or 6.
Marilyn in Ohio

If you really want to do it right, you should consider the plantings
and other features nearby, as Arts and Crafts gardens at their best
are a sort of effortless-looking integrated whole more than a show of
individual specimen plants.

I'd consider camellias, which are good container plants, thrive in
shade, will not outgrow their space for many years, and are solid
backing for other plants when they're not in bloom. Whether the
hardiest camellias would still be a risk in Dayton, I don't know.

You can try Bisgrove and Lawson, "The Gardens of Gertrude Jekyll", or
Jekyll and Weaver, "Arts and Crafts Gardens", for lots of ideas.

--
Chris Green