Old 28-11-2004, 01:14 AM
paghat

In article Dv9qd.1988$wr6.452@trnddc04, Salty Thumb
wrote:

"Jim Carlock" wrote in
:

witnessed it, but it's definitely better to be safe than sorry.

This response has been rated PG13 Parental Guidance suggested.
.
.
.

I don't know why so many people equate being better safe than sorry with
living in a bubble. It's as simple as knowing not to fondle your
poinsettias, not letting your kids eat them and not asking your delicate
hot young non-lebanese slave girl who just rubbed all up & down her hot
naked body with frankincense and myrrh to water them.

In the unlikely event somebody does get a rash then you don't have to
stand around with a dumb look thinking "well it can't be the poinsettia,
somebody said they're non-toxic ..." while the victim screams in agony as
little blisters on their skin repeatedly break oozing pus and dark blood
drips like boiling summer rain from their eyelids "... I wonder if I
should call poison control or Wilfred Brimley".

At any rate, diabetes (at least type-2) can cause all sorts of
neuropathies that would impair a person's normal response to avoid
potentially allegeric substances. So instead of "an allergic reaction to
the poinsettas that caused the diabetes" it's more likely that "because
of the diabetes, the victim was unable to sense the allergic substance".

The reason it is assinine to be safer than sorry when dealing with a
non-toxic substance (such as, say, poinsettias) on the off-chance that
someone MIGHT have an unpredictable allergic reaction -- is because that's
true of EVERYthing. The list I gave before, that includes carrots &
celery, are far more likely to cause contact dermititis than is
poinsettia. One could never go out doors or even into the kitchen if this
level of safe-not-sorry was applied.

Anyone with an allergy to poinsettias would also have an allergy to pencil
erasers. They would not have gotten this far in life not knowing they were
allergic to latex. And their allergy would have nothing whatsoever to do
with normal healthy reactions (rather non-reactions) to latex.

RATIONAL safe-not-sorry is to not take chances until the facts are known.
If you don't know for sure that it's a common blueberry, don't eat it; if
you do know it's a common blueberry, & you still won't eat it because
you'd rather be safe than sorry, then that judgement would define that
idiot as a loon.

When the facts are known & someone still decides it's too dangerous, then
that person is a nutcake & a loon. Period.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"