Old 28-11-2004, 07:32 AM
bill

On 11/21/04 7:00 AM, in article , "David W.E.
Roberts" wrote:

Hi,

ISTR during a discussion earlier in the year about how to get rid of grass
cuttings there was a method proposed for turning lawn into border.

This involved just covering the lawn with compost etc. and leaving it for a
while.

I am considering converting some lawn to beds, and have this years patio
pots of used potting compost to dispose of.

Is now a suitable time to spread this on part of the lawn to convert it into
a bed?

I presume that there is also digging involved eventually to loosen up the
compacted earth (probably in the spring when the soil is a bit dryer :-)

Any other pointers for this strategy?

TIA

Dave R

Hi Dave,
At this time of year (Nov)...turning the grass over (roots up) would be
a good way to go. No sun, lots of rain will turn the grass/weeds into green
manure....and that's good for the worms. If it were summer, I would have a
different approach.
So my suggestion is to turn it over now. I would dig as deep as possible
in the process. Put the poor soil on top if that's what is down there. Then
add compost, manure etc. to the top...you could even add raw manure at this
time of year and the rains will wash it into the soil. Feeding the worms of
course-sustainability is the name of the game.
It does take work to turn it all over but remember it is only one shovel
full at a time...'inch by inch anything's a cinch'! One shovel full at a
time...wet or not.
Bill