Old 28-11-2004, 01:47 PM
Sacha

On 28/11/04 12:21, in article , "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Kay wrote:
In article , Stan The Man
writes
If he is seen often, that is partly because his programmes are
repeated often; and partly because he's the best at the job.

The best person to front 'Last Night of the Proms'??

Well, it takes all sorts.

I thought about this at the time; and decided that for such a merry
low-brow occasion he was by no means a bad choice. These days people
get so few chances to dip their toes into "classical" music that
anything which dispels the "élitist" image must be a good idea.
(Hell, it could have been Bill Oddie or Sandi Toksvig!)

He _is_ intelligent and likable and non-stuffy about everything; I
just wish they'd train more people that way instead of relying on an
over-exposed handful.

Mike.

I get a bit tired of the jolly chappie stuff but I do agree that he's an
excellent presenter. He has the gift of talking to the camera exactly as if
he was talking to a friend over a cup of tea. I think the only other
presenter I can stand for long at a time is Monty Don.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk