Old 28-11-2004, 09:35 PM
David J Bockman

It's conceivable you're seeing alkyds and or alcohols that are associated
with anaerobic decomposition, such as you would see in certain types of gray
soil and marine clays...

Dave

"country" wrote in message
om...
I haven't thought about this for a while, but after finding this group
I thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas about it. A year or so ago,
when I first started planting things around here, I found that when I
dug holes within a few feet of the house and filled them with water,
as the water drained, bursts of something, I assume a gas, were
shooting from the sides of the holes creating a film like you see with
oil on water, but not as heavy. It would appear just above the level
of the water as it went down. Gas company checked it with their
instrument when they were in the area, but found nothing related to
the product they deal with. THis house was converted from gas 45 years
ago.

ANyone have any ideas what this might be?

Thanks.

CK