Old 28-11-2004, 05:18 PM
Mike Lyle

David Rance wrote:
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Mike Lyle wrote:

The best person to front 'Last Night of the Proms'??

I thought about this at the time; and decided that for such a

merry
low-brow occasion he was by no means a bad choice. These days

people
get so few chances to dip their toes into "classical" music that
anything which dispels the "élitist" image must be a good idea.
(Hell, it could have been Bill Oddie or Sandi Toksvig!)

Don't jeer at Bill Oddie. He *is* musically educated.

I wasn't jeering (too strong a word, but let it pass) at his
education, or even less the man himself, of whom I quite approve, but
his telly personality. He doesn't _relax_ me. Sandi T feels tense to
me, too.

Mike.