Old 28-11-2004, 04:13 PM
BAC

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

[snip]

I do believe putting the matter to a popular vote would have

been
wise.

Any wiser than putting the annual budget proposals to a popular

vote?

Like companies do, you mean?

No. I don't mean like companies.

No, I don't think it would be as wise to put UK
plc's annual budget proposals to a popular vote, because of the

sheer
impracticability arising from the volume of decisions which would be
required, and the complexity of the considerations would be

double-dutch to
most of us (although, to be fair, it probably is to most MPs, too,

good job
they don't get a free vote on it!).

So your style of democracy would only work for such issues as you
choose to apply it to?

Obviously, different measures are appropriate to different situations and
problems. Which is why we have a range of democratic measures available, all
used when considered suitable. I don't know what style of democracy you
favour, but if it is the UK version, one of those measures is the
referendum.

Putting the highly contentious single issue 'hunting' proposals to a

popular
vote might have headed off the constitutional wrangles we can expect

to see
now, and also the civil unpleasantness which seems likely to rumble

on -
that's why I think it would have been wise, and practical, too.

You are boring me stiff. Please have the last word.

Not terminally stiff, I hope, old chap. Kind of you to offer the last word,
I suggest we simply agree to disagree and leave it at that.