Old 29-11-2004, 02:02 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Twobtold" wrote in message
Hi --
Years ago it was believed that crushed walnut shells poison the soil

for
garden plants. Is this still the prevailing wisdom?
Have an abundance of shells from a gift box of walnuts received from

CA.
Seems wrong to just toss in the garbage. Always thought what came from

the
ground should be returned to the ground, but I don't want to hinder the

growth
of my garden plants.
TIA (Z6,NJ)

You shouldn't have anything to worry about. Black walnuts, as do a number of
other members of the genus, excrete a hormone - primarily from the roots -
which can hinder the growth of sensitive plants. English walnuts possess
this hormone in much lower concentrations and even less so through the
shell. And how large a gift box are we taking about ? It can't be too many
shells to begin with. If you have any concerns, use them for informal
pathways.

pam - gardengal