Old 28-11-2004, 02:47 AM
bill

On 11/27/04 9:23 AM, in article lK2qd.363134$nl.291275@pd7tw3no, "Dennis
Edward" wrote:

I'm a relative newbie at gardening, although enjoying it. I've bought (too)
many books, and had a couple of relatively successful years growing veggies
and such. However, though the books go into a lot of detail on how to grow
plants, their soil requirements, etc etc, they don't usually have a lot of
info on what to do with the produce (yeah, I know -- "eat it"). I'm thinking
of information on what parts of plants are edible (or poisonous), how you
process it, how you store it, etc.

Is there any online info that concentrates on this aspect of gardening? Or a
good book that someone can recommend?

My first question: What vegetables have you grown? I'm dying to know!
My second question: Do you have a freezer? If so, the manual that comes with
it will tell you how to freeze your extra vegetables.

My first suggestion: You may want to checkout a 'cooking'
newsgroup...alt.cooking-chat for example.

My first editorial: (off topic, sorry, but as you are relatively new, I feel
you may find this helpful for the long haul). Many books will encourage the
use of chemical fertilizers....chemical fertilizers don't nourish the soil
or feed worms...a chemical fertilizer feeds the plants and that is all. Feed
your worms (compost) and the soil becomes sustainable all on its own and
less waste goes to landfills.
Bill
PS: Isn't gardening fun! I love growing vegetables and I compost everything
in sight...well not quite, but I want to!