Old 29-11-2004, 02:12 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message

In article ,
Rod wrote:
Anybody seen the pics of Barbados in the new RHS Garden mag? My gob
has been smacked - surely nobody is ever going to want to grow Ficus
benjamina in a pot after seeing those pictures.

The one in the grounds of my (very) old school was a monster, and if
memory serves me correctly, was the size of a respectable oak, and had a
trunk to match. (And delicious purple figs with a pink interior...)

No, but I can imagine. I believe that Monstera deliciosa is also
quite impressive in its native habitat.

I get a bit annoyed with seed companies that describe how interesting
the baobab is (and it is), and then say that it makes a good pot
plant. Oh, YEAH.

I believe it is *VERY* slow-growing though, and goes on for millennia if
you can cope with all the watering, feeding and repotting for that
time...

It's (properly) a succulent, isn't it?

--
Rusty