Old 29-11-2004, 10:30 AM
David Rance

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Mike Lyle wrote:

The best person to front 'Last Night of the Proms'??

I thought about this at the time; and decided that for such a
merry low-brow occasion he was by no means a bad choice.
These days people get so few chances to dip their toes into
"classical" music that anything which dispels the "élitist" image
must be a good idea. (Hell, it could have been Bill Oddie or
Sandi Toksvig!)

Don't jeer at Bill Oddie. He *is* musically educated.

I wasn't jeering (too strong a word, but let it pass) at his
education, or even less the man himself, of whom I quite approve, but
his telly personality. He doesn't _relax_ me. Sandi T feels tense to
me, too.

Hmm yes, I see what you mean. ;-)

David
| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |