Old 29-11-2004, 03:30 PM
Sue da Nimm

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "Sue da Nimm" . contains these words:

The pond sides should always slope outwards so that any ice formed

cannot
exert sideways pressure when it melts. (Ice EXPANDS when it melts, which

is
why it can burst pipes)

Ice expands as it freezes and shrinks as it melts. The expansion of
the frozen ice is what bursts pipes or vessels, not the melting of it.

Janet.

Sorry all - choking on humble pie - you are exactly right )
The overall effect is the same, though, ice can damage ponds if there isn't
a suitable overflow provided.

(I won't expand on the point any more in case I contract poster's cramp....)