Old 29-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in

message
k...

I carry a lock-knife with a three and one eighth inch blade most of

the
time, whether I'm indoors, in the garden

...or out and about.

That's the bit that could get you into trouble.

Not if you have a lawful reason for using it, it mustn't.

I use the word 'mustn't rather than 'can't', because it can cause
trouble, but not within the law.

The legal issue is that the carrier must be able to show due cause for
carrying it.

I use it for all sorts of things in my daily toil: wire-stripping;
cutting string; cutting cardboard for packaging, etc.

When I'm in subunderkeeper mode it's used for cutting baling twine,
wood, plastic pipes; cleaning game; etc.

Killing horseflies: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/ked002.jpg in the
garden; cutting string, twine, etc; oh, and whatever gardeners and
bodgers do in gardens.

If I have it when out and about, say, driving to a mushrooming spot
(FDVO mushrooms), and apart from cutting the stipes, I nearly always
take my sandwiches in kit form, so, usually I slice the bread first (or
take rolls) but slice cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, celery, onions etc as
required.

I nearly always have pencils and something to sketch on with me when
out, and a knife is useful for 101 other things which you only find out
about when you need one.

To me, a knife is a tool and a friend.

--
Rusty