Old 30-11-2004, 02:15 AM
Auntie Em

On 28 Nov 2004 19:03:29 GMT, (Two x over) wrote:

hi everyone...
any suggestions for making gardening even more fun for kids? i remember
reading about doing a pole bean teepee, but can't remember where....can anyone
help??

thanks (delurking...)
betsey
"we do not inherit the earth, we caretake it for our children"

Call me a crumudgeon. But my grandmother used to have a saying in
Italian which I will translate roughly..... "When the fun begins, the
learning stops".

Basically, in today's "educational system" everything is based on fun.
Back in the era when America's great leaders were educated (in fact,
right up until the 1960s or so), school was designed as being anything
but FUN. Education was serious business. Today in the DOZENS of
countries which surpass the US in educational quality and achievement,
most particularly the Asian countries, fun is not particularly
important in the educational process. I seriously think that is where
the Americal educational system has gone very, very wrong. Insisting
that every learning experience be one big "whooptie hoo haaa".

I think you would benefit your children more by making it a learning
experience rather than a FUN one.

Em

Be careful what you wish for....