Old 23-11-2004, 03:52 PM
Nina Shishkoff

(Jim Lewis) wrote in message news:419EFFD0.3776.357EE4@localhost...
Of course they might add stuff to their concoction; they can

advertise it and sell it to the unsuspecting. As long as it
doesn't hurt anything . . .

I'm sure I've told this story before, but may as well again:

I was once hired to test a mycoherbicide by the company that produced
it. In order to get the control treatment right, I asked them to
provide me with the inert ingredients of the mixture minus the active
ingredient, which in this case was a microorganism. They refused. I
insisted. They reluctantly agreed. So I tested the organism alone,
the organism plus the inert ingredients, and the inert ingredients
alone. It turned out the microorganism had little effect against the
disease, it was the "inert ingredients", one of which was highly
refined mineral oil, which is known to have protective effect against
fungi and insects. Eventually my boss and I found out that the
company was not interestred in marketing a mineral oil; they were
interested in marketing a "natural" product. No harm done, since the
product did, in fact, work. But it makes you highly suspicious.

Nina, who is glad she doesn't have to take money from pesticide
companies any more.