Old 24-11-2004, 06:34 PM
Ben Sharvy

(Mark) wrote in message . com...
My rosemary plant went from a spindly little sprig to a big woody bush
(14" across/high) over the course of the summer, despite frequent
trimming for various culinary exercises.

I have dug it up and put it into a pot with some of the soil from its
garden bed.

This doesn't strike me as a good idea. Transplanting is a shock to any
plant, and best done when it is dormant. If your long term plan is to
move it between the indoors and the out by transplanting it twice a
year, I think you should change plans. Either put it in a big pot, and
move the pot, or find a variety that can overwinter outdoors in your
area. 'Arp' is supposed to be quite cold hardy.

There is some info about rosemary at my Web site:
http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/edible.html . I'm not sure if it needs
chill hours. No need to worry about dry soil; like most herbs,
rosemary preres dry sandy soil.