Old 23-11-2004, 10:45 PM
David

Bill wrote:
On 11/16/04 8:58 AM, in article , "Norm
Rohrabaugh" wrote:

I live south of Tampa and for years tried to have a decent garden.
Composted everything I could find in the neighborhood and after 10 years,
nothing changed. A lot of near pure sand full of root knot nematodes.

After vapam was pulled from the market, the nematodes always won.

I started expirmenting with hydroponics and today after 20 years of
learning, I have an abundance of vegetables year around.
Hydroponics has it's own problems, but it eliminates most of the problems of
growing in this sandy nematode filled soil.

Norm

Composting everything in the neighborhood for ten years and still a "lot of
near pure sand...". I don't think you live south of Tampa I think you must
live on the Sahara desert.
Bill

The organic matter does seem to quickly leach out of the sand in
Florida. But there is hope: I found an earthworm in my garden this
weekend. Not in a pot, actually in the ground.