Old 29-11-2004, 02:14 PM
Al

All of what you say is pretty logical from where I am reading. The quoted
part below made me smile. What is fun is listening to one group of judges
talk about the awards given by other groups as they decide if the flower in
front of them is worth scoring. It seems each judging group develops a
somewhat different culture or metric.

It is too bad you can't take the same inflorescence to several area judgings
to see whose metric best agrees with your own. From where I am setting it
seems like the only thing they have to loose, if this were allowed, is their
divergent metrics.

If I say anymore about judging I'll just get myself all twisted up and be
useless for the rest of the day. Love the judges, hate the judgments.
....unless they are in my favor, of course.

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
Hi Gene,
Around here we have a game. When AQ arrives we go to the color picture
section and based solely on the picture and the award granted, we pick
plants we think belong to judges. We are very good at it. I like to
think this is not a sign that the judging system is corrupt or broken, but
instead just shows that the judges are in tune to their metric and
understand what will be awarded by their metric.