Old 29-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Rob Halgren

When selling plants, I get more money for a two spike plant than a one
spiker. Even at a higher price, the two spiker with its marginally smaller
flowers will sell first. With my metric for plants, the recommendation of
cutting off the second spike seemed silly, but when rating a plant by the
AOS metric it made perfect sense.

Well, size is only ten points... For phals, floriferousness is also
ten points... So they should cancel out. Some points are more equal
than others, it seems.

Around here we have a game. When AQ arrives we go to the color picture
section and based solely on the picture and the award granted, we pick
plants we think belong to judges. We are very good at it. I like to think
this is not a sign that the judging system is corrupt or broken, but instead
just shows that the judges are in tune to their metric and understand what
will be awarded by their metric.

At least around here, most of the plants taken to a judging are
owned by judges... Can't award something we don't see. I know that I
don't take a plant to judging unless I think it is likely to get an
award. I've been burned that way several times - we have awarded plants
of the same cross that I have in my collection, my flowers are better
but not at judging... I hate that. Actually since my standards are so
high I don't take many plants to judging...

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )