Old 28-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Robert Dickow

"Gene Schurg" wrote in
nk.net:

I have a Paphiopedilum F. C. Puddle 'Bodnant' FCC/RHS (Actaeus x
Astarte) division about to come into bloom. I noticed it was awarded
an FCC from the RHS but I don't seem to find any AOS awards for this
or any F. C. Puddle.

Why is this? Are the RHS awards easier to get than an AOS award? Or
was this awarded a long long time ago?

Good growing,
Gene

Gene, That is a classic plant, and was awarded years ago. It is still a
goody to have I'm sure. As for the award by AOS, it could be for several
reasons that it was not granted an AOS award, but this is not because
the RHS has lower standards. I think most of us regard the RHS (and JOS
and other organizations) as having equal standards. And, let's not let
AOS get too high on the horse either. I've spoken to commercial growers
who have expressed wonder why some plants ever got an AOS award. One
even cynically remarked that it was because of judges giving awards to
their friends' plants! ...But that was probably sour grapes talking, no?

Bob Dickow, Moscow Idaho