Old 30-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 02:08:29 GMT, "Gene Schurg"
wrote:

Pat,

I agree with you on the profit potential metrics. It would be great for you
to have lots of FCC certificates but it's customer demand that pays the
heating bill.

I guess I've always been tuned to look for AOS awards as a measure of a
plant that has good potential. When I see these other awards from other
groups I don't really give them the credit they deserve and maybe I should.

Gene

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
Hi Gene,

This is not a case of who is right. Judging is all about metrics. A

metric is defined and plants are than compared to this metric and rated.

There are really 3 judging points in an AOS judging. First the
plant as picked from a table of entries to be looked at closely.
Second the judges decide to score or pass on judging this
blooming of the plant. Third they each receive a score card on
which they write a numeric value for color, size, number of
flowers, shape and form of the dorsal, of the petals, of the
lip/pouch. The sum of all these individual points is averaged
over the team and we have our numeric score.

It is the first and second decision points that are often the
most difficult to cross. This is where the eye has to be caught
and the mind engaged favorably for the plant. Many judges are
more influenced by the 'size' of the flower or the different
color when they decide to score or not score a plant. When they
do score the plants these items have a much smaller influence.

As to Metrics - - Other than the RHS requiring a well grown plant
under a well grown flower, just by their judging style; I know of
none that suggests a lesser requirement for beautiful flowers
from one group or another. I would just remember that as someone
noted HCC's here sometimes are a dime a dozen. That the judging
is one groups (usually 5-7 people) opinion on a specific day of a
specific bloom spike.

If YOU like it, if YOU think it is as perfect an example of its
type, YOU should celebrate it and enjoy.
SuE