Old 30-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Derek Broughton

rtk wrote:

They're both called de-icers. The Little Giant, at 1250 watts, blew the
fuse, but it definitely does not say heater on the box; it says de-icer.
I've ordered a different one from PetSolutions which is 100 and also
called a de-icer. I don't get it. How can there be such a variation?
If 100 or even only 24 (MarineDepot) works to maintain a hole in the
ice, what's the point of a whopping 1250 if it is not intended to do
more than that?

The LG is probably intended to keep a bird bath completely ice-free. At
least it's intended to keep a significant sized opening. A 24W heater will
probably just keep a tiny opening - but that's all you need. You're just
lucky it blew the fuse before you found out how much it cost...
--
derek