Old 30-11-2004, 07:02 PM
John Hines

rtk wrote:

They're both called de-icers. The Little Giant, at 1250 watts, blew the
fuse, but it definitely does not say heater on the box; it says de-icer.
I've ordered a different one from PetSolutions which is 100 and also
called a de-icer. I don't get it. How can there be such a variation?

It depends on what you need to de-ice, a bird bath, or a stock tank for
cattle and horses?

If your a rancher in Minnesota, a 24 watt unit isn't gonna help with the
livestock.

Be careful with a de-icer, I have one of those stock tank heaters, and
if too much area is open, the fish come to the surface, and are food for
birds.

Heaters are resistance units, you can put them on a really big dimmer
switch, to control the heat, as needed.