Old 30-11-2004, 10:14 PM
Tumbleweed

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
I have received the same and am also very suspicious and would welcome a
definitive answer from an "expert".

In the meantime I have looked at the BT Yahoo Mail site and whilst there
is a lot about spam and how to avoid it, I can find no reference to SMTP
or Simple Mail Transfer Protocol.

So my feeling is not to do anything that the e-mail says to do.

Jeanne Stockdale

Yo cant have been looking very hard.....

from http://www.btyahoo.com/mail/helpandsupport (first google hit IIRC)

"4. What is BT Yahoo! Premium Mail?
BT Yahoo! Premium Mail is a feature rich email service that provides you
with four email addresses (based on the format) and
can be accessed via webmail and also POP/SMTP..."

and

" 9. What are my mail servers?

Your Incoming Mail (POP3) = mail.btinternet.com

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) = mail.btinternet.com "

and finally ..
http://help.btinternet.com/help/smtp

BT Yahoo! Mail - setting up SMTP Authentication
Print this page

What is SMTP Authentication, and why do I need to ensure it is switched on?

As part of a worldwide initiative aimed at reducing junk email (spam), all
email providers are switching to what is known as 'SMTP authentication'.
SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, which enables the sending of
email. Authentication is a method of identifying the origin of emails that
stops emails being sent anonymously.

Most nuisance emails (spam) are sent from people on unauthenticated email.
By removing the ability to send emails without authentication, spam should
be substantially reduced.

How do I switch on SMTP authentication?

It's simple. 'SMTP authentication' s usually switched on by ticking a box
called 'My server requires authentication' in your email program settings.

Please do this for all the BT Yahoo! email addresses that you and your
family use.

If you are using Microsoft Outlook Express or Microsoft Outlook on a PC,
this can be done automatically for you - just click on the button below,
then click 'Yes' when asked if you want to install and run the program. This
will switch on SMTP authentication in your email program on this computer
for all your (or your family's) BT Yahoo! email addresses.

If you are using another email program OR you are using an Apple Mac, please
click here to see how to switch on SMTP Authentication.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com