Old 01-12-2004, 12:30 AM
Gary Woods

"Peter Stockdale" wrote:

Yes - but this is all gobbledeygook - you have left out the important bit
that they are threatening to cut off our outgoing em facility in four days
if we don.t do what they order.

That's just got to be a "phish." Do you have to provide login information
and all that? BT couldn't possibly make a major change and cut everybody
off in 4 days- that's a huge red flag.
SMTP has been around almost since the beginning... it's the protocol mail
servers use to talk to each other (and you). "Authenticated SMTP"
originally meant you needed to login to send mail; most ISPs have been
doing this for quite a while.
It would be interesting to see the original mail headers... I get versions
of this all the time threatening to lock my bank account, credit card, or
sex life if I don't give some total stranger all my secret information.