Old 01-12-2004, 07:23 AM
David Hershey

The following university site quotes Ball Seed which says tuberous
roots of ornamental sweet potato are edible. It seems logical that
they would be because the mutation was in leaf coloration. A lot of
websites say they form tubers but they are actually tuberous roots.
Even the website below confuses sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) with
potato (Solanum tuberosum). They are in different families. Ipomoea is
in Convolvulaceae and Solanum is in Solanaceae.

Production Guidelines for Four New Crops -- Osteospermum, Angelonia,
Calibrachoa & Ornamental Sweet Potato (Ipomoea batatas)
http://www.umass.edu/umext/floricult.../newcrops.html

This site below quotes the USDA's Vegetable Laboratory in Charleston,
South Carolina which says "‘Marguerite' seldom produces a "usable"
edible root and ‘Blackie' almost never does. If, by chance, such a
root is produced, there is no reason it could not be eaten."

http://www.mygardenguide.com/faq.html

David R. Hershey

Monique Reed wrote in message ...
I received this query today and don't have any info. Can anyone offer
an answer or personal experience?

"are the tubers of marguarita & blackie ornamental ipomoea batatas
edible? we have been told they are called white sweet potatoes & can
be prepared the same as regular orange-fleshed sweet potatoes. i've
been unable to find information relating to edibility on several
websites."

All I have been able to find is a "No" at this informal website:

http://www.emilycompost.com/morning_glory.htm

Thanks,
Monique Reed