Old 01-12-2004, 04:09 PM

In article ,
Iris Cohen wrote:
A lot of websites say they form tubers but they are actually tuberous roots.

I never noticed the difference until someone here mentioned it. Sweet potatoes
and other tuberous roots look like tubers, but if you look carefully at the
eyes, they only sprout little feeder roots. Only a true tuber has eyes which
produce leaf buds.

AFAIK, they are tuberous roots, but they do produce shoots and leaves
as well as roots. They are propagated by breaking off these young
plants (slips) from the tuberous root and planting them. You get many
slips from one sweet potato.

It's been a long long time since I sprouted a sweet potato in water as
a houseplant -- I don't think kids do this any more because commercial
ones are now treated with a sprouting inhibitor. I suppose I could seek
out some organically grown ones. I don't remember just where the roots
and shoots sprout from -- if not from eyes, where?