Old 01-12-2004, 03:07 PM
nambucca

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Glen Able" writes:

| I have a Leylandii hedge (which I'm fairly content with, thanks

Just
| past it is what I assume is a spare tree that was left when the hedge

was
| planted. It has that same lemony (?) smell. It's pretty thick and

shaggy
| looking and currently stands at about 18'.

Are the leaves similar, do they grow similarly and is the bark similar?
If three yesses, then it will be that or a close relative.

| I have nothing in particular against it, the local birdlife loves it.

But
| I'm sure it's grown about 3' just in the one year we've been living

here.
| As the garden's only 20 feet or so wide, I guess it could soon be a

problem.

It sounds like leylandii and, yes, it will be.

| Does it sound like Leylandii? Would I be wise to terminate it? Is

there a
| best time to do this so as to least disturb the blackbirds etc. that

are so
| fond of it?

Terminate it with extreme prejudice at maximum dispatch. I.e. now
is good, but any time by the end of January (February in colder
parts) would be fine.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

A leylandii hedge in a mere 20ft wide garden will sure make its presense
felt