Old 01-12-2004, 07:37 PM
paghat

In article , wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

....to plant this spring in a spot where disgusting dog owners like to
stop their filthy beasts on my property. Shrub must be capable of
inflicting enough damage to send the dog to the vet. I'm thinking of
barberry. Open to suggestions for other shrub options. The planting spot
receives sun for about 2/3 of the day, and will be buried in snow for 3
months out of the year.

What about Pyrocantha

I'd think that'd be the best choice. A very pretty "wall" could be grown
of mixed shrubbs starting with pyrocantha as about the biggest thing.
There are hundreds of varieties of hawthorns, some have three to five inch
spikes, most of which would do very well in places with very cold winters
& lots of snow. Barberry bushes & rugosa roses are good intermediate-sized
impenetrable shrubs, euphorbia crown-of-thorns for something shorter, &
vicious groundcovers like some creeping rubra species, or
smilex/greenbriar, or dwarf crimson barberry. A natural barrier of spiky
plants could be very beautiful, flowery, & winter-berried for year-round
color, though one would require enough room in one's yard to steer pretty
clear of it while relaxing, & buy some gardening armor come pruning time.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com