Old 02-12-2004, 02:00 AM
lml227

Cheryl Isaak wrote in message ...
On 12/1/04 9:53 AM, in article ,
"TOM KAN PA" wrote:

Subject: fun for kids---
From: Auntie Em

Call me a crumudgeon. But my grandmother used to have a saying in
Italian which I will translate roughly..... "When the fun begins, the
learning
stops".

Basically, in today's "educational system" everything is based on fun. Back in
the era when America's great leaders were educated (in fact, right up until
the
1960s or so), school was designed as being anything but FUN.

____Reply Separator_____

And what did you learn at recess? Geez, for all these years, kids looked
forward to recess because they thought it was fun.
Thanks for setting them straight.

School was interesting, but not fun until about 1970. When it got to be
"fun", it got boring.

I am at the point of home schooling my two - what passes for education is
truly lubricious.

But teaching a child to garden should be fun with out trying to be "fun"

Cheryl

Why can't school be fun and educational at the same time? Not every
child is going to find every topic interesting and fun, but we can try
to present the information to appeal to different learning styles so
they will attain the information better. After all, children are
going to remember the material they found interesting and disregard
the boring information they chose to tune out. More importantly I
believe we need to find more ways to intrinsically motivate children.
Any ideas?